Monday, November 10, 2008

Atlantic City Trip

I would say my weekend was pretty exciting, compared to my usual activities of hanging out w/ friends and then catching up on some sleep.

Well to start off, Friday I had to take an exam so I got to leave work at around 2:30. I went out for drinks later at this place called Johnny Utah, which was great cause they have a mechanical bull, and there were a few drunk, well-endowed girls who tried riding it. It actually looked fun, so I signed a waiver, and tried it for the first time. I somehow managed to stay on the bull the longest out of everyone at the bar (though everyone was slightly more drunk than me) but the bull got the last laugh, as it flung me around like a rag doll and eventually whacked me after it threw me off.

Haha, I just read something about a few lawsuits against Johnny Utah. It’s a freaking mechanical bull!! What do people expect?? Sheesh, what people do for easy money...

Anyway, one of my buddies from school had gotten a room comped at the Borgata, so we decided to head to AC on Saturday and stay the night. We took one of the Chinatown buses, which is great cause you pay $17 and as soon as you get off the bus, you get a $25 coupon redeemable at the cashier. We took the bus to Caesars, and then took taxis to the Borgata. Once there, we all split up and did our own thing for awhile. Some went to play blackjack, some roulette, while I went to play 1-2 NL hold em (not a good idea as I’ll soon explain).

I only played for about an hour before my first big hand happened. The table was extremely tight, and I stole a few times, but with blinds at 1-2, stealing was pretty much useless. People were nut-peddling, and I was getting restless. So on this one hand, I had A8 of spades in the BB, and a few people limp in. It gets to me and I check, and then the flop comes out A 9 5, two clubs and a spade. Someone in the middle bets out ($10 I think) and I’m the only caller. Turn is a 7 of spades. Now I have an ace with a weak kicker, a nut flush draw, and a straight draw. If the other guy has an ace, I’m probably beat (which was the hand I put him on), so I thought that if I pull a check raise here, maybe I could represent 2 pair, push him off his hand since he was really tight, and still have some outs if he calls. So he bets 20, I raise to put him all in since he only has about 80 left, and he insta calls and flips over a set of 5’s. I miss my outs :(

I probably could have played that better, maybe saved some chips if I just called him down since now that I look back at the hand, he was underbetting since he had a monster, and didn’t understand to bet more to push me off my draws. Anyway, I don’t think that was too bad compared to the next two hands later in the night.

I moved tables, and after playing on a looser table for awhile, I had 7 T of spades in the BB, and the guy to my left raises it up to $10, and 5 or 6 people call, so since I was last to act, I obviously called.

Flop comes out Q 9 4 all spades. I check, and the initial bettor bets out again, $25 or so. There was one other caller, and then I pop it up to $100, and the initial bettor goes all in. Other guy folds, and I don’t have much left, maybe 50 or 75 more, so I call. The guy doesn’t want to show his hand, so we wait for the cards to deal out. Turn is a 2 of clubs. River is a 7 of spades. I cry… knowing he has a higher spade. He flips over AK, K of spades… sighs…

So nothing I could really do about that. The guy was pretty bad, and my friend at the table was like, tough break. But I didn’t bring any more money with me, so I had to borrow another 200 off my friend, which leads me to my third big hand of the night.

I walked around, and then switched tables again, and I sat to the left of another buddy. After sitting down for 5 minutes, I noticed this was the loosest table I’ve ever seen before in my life, so I just decided to sit back and wait for a hand. Well, I found AK on the BB, and while not in a great position, it was the best hand I saw at the table. There were a bunch of limpers, and my buddy who was on the button raises it up to 11 or 12, and I tell him to stop stealing, and reraise it to 40, hoping to just pick up the blinds and his raise. One guy to my left flat calls the 40 raise, and everyone else folds. Now it’s heads up between me and a guy who couldn’t count his chips.

Flop comes out A 3 4, with 2 spades (I have the ace of spades). With AK, I can only hope that it’s good here, especially against the range of hands someone would flat call a 40 preflop raise with at 1-2. So I make a very small bet (25 or 30), just to see what he does, and he min raises… I’m about to scream, thinking if this guy called a 40 raise with a pair of 3’s or 4’s, I’m going to flip a shit. But, I remembered about 2 hands ago, this guy did the same thing (min raise) to another dude, with a flush draw, and he hit his flush on the river. So now, I decide to call to clear the turn, and then bet out if it’s a non-spade. So the turn comes and is a K of hearts. With my 2 pair, all I can hope is that he doesn’t have a set, and I bet out 90, and he puts me all in, and I call with my last 30 or so. He turns over A 3 (OMG right…) and I’m more than a 90% favorite here, and of course the river is a 3… so I go broke… again. And to make it worse, my buddy on the button told me he had a 3 in his hand also, so the guy hits his case 3.

Haha, so sorry this is sounding like a bad beat blog. This was the first time I lost money playing poker live (yes I know, playing at 1-2 isn't much to brag about). But other than that, the trip was pretty fun, since I got to catch up w/ some college buddies. Oh, luckily, one of the guys brought his laptop there, so I ended up playing HU HORSE games at 3 in the morning, and made 300 bucks in about half an hour. One guy who was on tilt, lost a 200 HU HORSE game in 5 minutes, LOL.

Unfortunately, its back to the real world now... working stinks :(